Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Low Salt/Sodium Recipe
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into thin strips
- 4 teaspoons pure chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned chopped tomatoes, with their juice
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedge, and hot sauce for serving
- In large non-reactive saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic. Cook over moderately low heat until barely tender.
- Add the chicken and cook over moderate heat until it is no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin and oregano. Add the stock, tomatoes with their juice and jalapenos. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover, bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and simmer, uncovered, over moderately low heat until the chili is thickened, about 15 minutes longer.
- Serve with the cilantro and pass lime wedges and hot sauce on the side, if desired.