I almost never eat "red meat" so this chili with chicken instead of beef became a very good alternative. Can also be made with red beans, kidney beans, chickpeas or whatever you fancy.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 3 ounces mushrooms, large ones cut into half
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 lb canned white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 -4 green olives or 3 -4 black olives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro or 1 tablespoon parsley
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in large pan over medium heat.
- Sauté chopped onions, garlic, ginger root, and jalapeno chili 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, cook, covered, until mushrooms are wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add chicken, beans, chicken broth, oregano, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and bay leaf.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon chili into bowls; sprinkle each serving with tomato, green onion, olives and cilantro/parsley.