Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mmmmmm. From Cooking Healthy Across America.
Make and share this Chicken Chile Stromboli recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (10 ounce) canchunk canned chicken, drained
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper (canned or fresh)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 (11 ounce) canrefrigerated French bread dough
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 6 pieces roasted red peppers, thin strips (from a jar)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 dash garlic powder
- parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease cookie sheet.
- Combine chicken, chile, cream cheese, 1/4 cup bell peppers, honey, salt and pepper and mix together.
- Remove dough from can and place on lightly floured surface.
- Unroll dough and spread chicken mixture evenly on it to about 1 inch of edges.
- Carefully reroll dough and gently press eddges to seal; folding ends under.
- Place loaf on cookie sheet.
- In another bowl, combine egg and water and beat well.
- Brush over top of loaf. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Arrange pepper strips about 2 inches apart on top of loaf.
- Use a sharp knife to cut 5-6 diagonal slices, 1/2 inch deep on top of the loaf.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until edges are deep golden brown.
- Combine butter and garlic powder and brush over warm loaf.
- Cut into slices and serve.
I used the dough from Sicilian Pizza Dough but other than that followed the recipe. I did add a bit more chicken and cream cheese. I agree with the other reviewed I would have liked the crunchy crust better and will add the garlic powder or garlic salt to the filling or to the egg wash. All in all pretty tasty and everyone enjoyed it. Thanks
This was very good--the only thing keeping it from being a 5-star recipe for me is that working with the dough was kind of a pain. Otherwise, the flavor was terrific! I am inspired to try the filling in corn tortillas for enchiladas one of these days! I'm not sure 2 washes are necessary--maybe you could add the garlic powder to the egg wash? The butter didn't add a whole lot, and sort of softened the nice crispy crust. Also, I will probably skip the roasted peppers as they didn't add much other than visual appeal. Just MHO. Thanks for a good recipe!!