Recipe by DailyInspiration
Another recipe from my Classic Southwest cookbook. Love the idea of rolling these chicken breasts in crushed tortilla chips. Prep time does not include refrigeration time.
Top Review by Annacia
Oh my great googly moogly! What a great idea and taste treat. The pounding took a bit to get them down to the ask for thickness and I only did two so give your self time if you'll be making all 8 breasts. I spread a light layer of sour cream on the chicken once pounded simply because it was staring at me when I opened the fridge and I thought why not? Also added a ribbon of salsa over the finished breast once it was on the plate. I couldn't keep the cheese from leaking some but it didn't lose much. This is completely scrumptious and I'm currently wondering if I couldn't make up the full recipe and freeze them prior to the baking? Served with garlic black rice and a small green salad for a perfectly lovely and delicious meal. Thanks so much for sharing this one Nancy. :D
- 8 boneless chicken breast halves (skinless)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 1 (8 ounce) package cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups tortilla chips (crushed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay out wax paper on counter, place each chicken breast and cover with another sheet of wax paper. Flatten to about 1/4 inch thickness with rolling pin or mallet and season with salt and pepper.
- Place diced green chilies evenly in center of each chicken breast. Sprinkle a little cheese evenly on top of green chilies. Carefully roll up each breast so no chilies or cheese will seep out and secure with toothpicks.
- Place each chicken breast in small casserole dish and chill several hours or overnight. When ready to bake, roll each chicken breast in melted butter and crushed tortilla chips.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for about 25 - 30 minutes or until tender.