1 hr 30 mins
From the famous Reata restauant in Fort Worth, TX. ("Reata-Legendary Texas Cuisine" cookbook.) With a large enough pan, you can use three whole chickens (leave skin on) in place of purchasing the legs and thighs separately. If you're short on time, go ahead and use two store-bought rotisserie chickens in place of the Shredded Chicken. Drizzling the top of each relleno with some of our Creme Fraiche and a scoop of guacamole will mellow the pepper just enough to keep from setting your mouth on fire. Believe it or not, some folks evn batter and fry these. If decadence is your thing, just dredge in some egg and buttermilk wash and seasoned flour a few times ti make a generous crust before your fry. Regardless, we say serve with your favorite Spanish rice and some Ranch-Style Beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Reata Shredded Chicken from the Grill
- 1/4 cup oil (for frying)
- 12 chicken legs with thigh, with skin on
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
Reata Roasted Poblano Peppers
- 12 poblano peppers
- 1/4 cup canola oil
Stuffing the Rellanos
- 4 cups goat cheese
- 4 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 6 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups ancho chili sauce -prepare the ancho chili cream but omit the heavy cream (see related recipe)
- 12 roasted poblano peppers
Reata Creme Fraiche
- 1Place the oil in a braising pan and heat over a piping hot grill. When the oil begins to sizzle, add the chicken. Cover with water, making sure the chicken remains submerged throughout the cooking process.
- 2Generously sprinkle with salt and cumin. Lower the heat to medium-high, so the water continues to simmer. Move the braising pan to the grill and continue cooking for 30-45 minutes over a medium grill,
- 3replenishing water in the pan as needed.
- 4The chicken is done when it is firm and white on the outside, and when you slice into it, there is no pink.
- 5to be seen. Remove the braising pan from grill and carefully drain the broth and discard. Let the chicken cool completely. Remove the chicken skin and bones and discard before shredding the meat. Shred the chicken and reserve.
- 6Reata Creme Fraiche:.
- 7Combine all ingredients in a bowl, whisking until the mixture has a consistency of salad dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8Reata Roasted Poblano Peppers:.
- 9Rub the oil liberally over the Poblano peppers. Roast the peppers directly on the grill grate until they.
- 10are charred, turning frequently to ensure charring on all sides. Place the warm roasted peppers in a
- 11large bowl and tightly cover with plastic wrap for about 15 minutes, until they begin to 'sweat'.
- 12Peel off the first layer of skin from each pepper. Slit the peppers lengthwise, rinse under cold water to remove the seeds and reserve.
- 13Stuffing the Rellanos:.
- 14Preheat the oven to 350º. In a large bowl, combine the cheeses and thoroughly mix. In another large bowl, add the diced tomatoes and shredded chicken, and mix. Add the Ancho Chili Sauce.
- 15to the chicken and tomatoes and mix until well combined. Carefully fill each pepper with about 1 cup of the chicken-tomato-chili mixture.
- 16Top each pepper with 1/2 cup of the blended cheeses. Place each stuffed pepper, cheese-side up, in a large baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until cheese is melted.
- 17Serve 2 per person, drizzled with 1-2 tablespoons of Creme Fraiche and a generous side guacamole.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Chile Rellenos
Serving Size: 1 (721 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1619.6
- Calories from Fat 1107
- Total Fat 123.0 g
- Saturated Fat 50.5 g
- Cholesterol 466.8 mg
- Sodium 10210.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.5 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 91.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: