Recipe by Engrossed
I got this from a co-worker named Charlotte about 15 years ago. She brought it to a potluck and I LOVED it! Mmm, comfort food. I know it's really unhealthy...it may work with lowfat options.
Top Review by Merlot
This absolutely satisfied our craving for a mexican type dish. I didn't have time to cook the chicken so I used a rotisserie chicken from the store. It worked out perfectly and saved me time. The combination of the soups, green chilies and sour cream put this dish over the top. This is a great way to make a delicious, filling and easy meal. Thanks so much, Engrossed.
- 4 chicken breasts
- water, to cover
- celery, chopped (for flavor)
- onion, chopped (for flavor)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups sour cream
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 (7 ounce) candiced mild green chilies, drained
- 1 (7 ounce) can salsa verde
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cheddar cheese, grated (more to top)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chicken in a pot with just enough water to cover, or in a crockpot, with celery and onions to flavor, until tender.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Remove chicken from broth. (Reserve broth).
- Skin chicken and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Combine soups, milk and sour cream.
- Cut the tortillas into 1-inch strips, and dip into reserved chicken broth.
- In a 13x9 baking dish layer: tortilla strips, soup mix, chilies, salsa, cheese and chicken. 2-3 layers. Top with more cheese.
- Bake 1 hour or more until hot and bubbly.