Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4 in all)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb tortilla chips
- 1⁄4 lb feta cheese, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf
- In a small bowl, combine the paprika, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately low heat.
- Add the flour and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic; cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the paprika and chili powder mixture.
- Add the chicken broth slowly, whisking, until smooth.
- Bring to a simmer. Simmer, covered, about 25 minutes.
- In a large frying pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over moderate heat.
- Season the chicken with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper.
- Cook until browned and just done, about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut crosswise into slices.
- Add the tortilla chips to the chile sauce and cook, stirring, until the chips are soft but not falling apart, about 2 minutes.
- Put the sauce on plates and top with the feta, sour cream, onion, cilantro, and chicken.