1/3 Photos of Chicken & Chickpeas in Apricot Syrup Reduction
I came up with this recipe one night when I just didn't want the same-old-same-old skillet chicken. This was easy to make and we really liked the combination of textures and the Mediterranean flavors.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 lb) chicken cutlet (approx. 1/2 pound of chicken)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can apricots in syrup, drained, reserving 1/4 cup syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- cilantro (optional, but strongly recommended!) (optional)
- 1Heat enough olive oil to cover bottom of non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add onion and green pepper and saute about five minutes, so that they're still firm.
- 3Add chickpeas, cinnamon, coriander and cardamom, stirring to mix everything, and saute vegetables with spices for about 2 to 3 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste. Reminder: If your coriander or cardamom have been sitting on your shelf for a long time (a year or more), they won't yield much flavor.
- 4Remove from skillet and put in bowl.
- 5Turn up heat to high, and add 1/4 cup of apricot syrup into skillet.
- 6Salt and pepper the chicken to taste and add to skillet, turning to coat both sides of cutlets with syrup, and saute over high heat until the syrup is completely reduced and the chicken takes on some browning, but not too brown. This takes about 5 or 6 minutes.
- 7Add the apricots and saute 1 or 2 minutes, keeping the heat on high.
- 8Return the chickpea mixture into skillet and saute until heated through.
- 9Top with fresh-snipped cilantro, if desired, and serve with whole-wheat couscous and steamed vegetables.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken & Chickpeas in Apricot Syrup Reduction
Serving Size: 1 (532 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 594.9
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 65.8 mg
- Sodium 443.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 46.9 g
- Protein 33.9 g