1 hr 20 mins
Chef #1802971773's Note:
A simple, filling curry. To make vegetarian, omit the chicken. Modified heavily from 200 Curries: Hamlyn All Color by Sunil Vijayakar
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 sweet potatoes, washed
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon curry powder or 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped low-sodium tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups kale or 3 cups spinach, washed stemmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint (optional) or 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
- 4 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt (to garnish) (optional)
- 1Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork or knife point in several places, then bake in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for about 1 hour, or until tender. Set aside.
- 2Slice the chicken breast into small cubes, approximately 1 inch thick.
- 3Heat the oil in a deep pot, carefully add the chicken pieces. Allow to cook undisturbed on once side for about 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip the chicken and allow to brown on the other side. Remove the chicken to a bowl and set a side.
- 4To the hot pan, add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, on medium-low heat until they soften and start to take on color.
- 5Add the dried spices, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- 6Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, and water. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. Stir, cover, reduce heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- 7Add the reserved chicken, chickpeas, chopped kale and simmer until the greens are tender, 3-8 minutes. Then turn off the heat and let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- 8Cut each sweet potato in half.
- 9To serve, top a sweet potato half with the curry, a spoonful of yogurt, and chopped cilantro or mint (if using).
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken, Chickpea and Kale Curry
Serving Size: 1 (522 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 471.6
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 54.4 mg
- Sodium 190.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.3 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 32.2 g