Recipe by Timothy H.
In Decatur Alabama this is know through out the land. It kicks the beer can chicken to the curb and rightfully so. You will need a metal meatloaf pan or large glass meatloaf dish to fit the chicken in.
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 1 whole chicken
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
FOR THE DRY RUB
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat grill to low medium about 300. In a small bowl combine applesauce and Worcestershire sauce mix well. Hold the chicken over top of the loaf pan and pour the mixture all over the chicken inside and out.Make sure the excess falls into the pan.
- In a small bowl combine dry rub ingredients and mix well.Cover the chicken inside and out with the dry rub.Place the chicken breast side up in the loaf pan.
- Make sure the grill is at 300 and place the pan away from the flame so it is getting indirect heat.Close the lid and cook until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken reaches 175, this should take around 2 hours. let the chicken rest before cuttings into servings pieces.
- This can be also made in the oven! Preheat oven to 350 and bake for
- 1 hour an 45 minutes or until the thicks part of the chicken reaches 175.