1/2 Photos of Chicken Cherries Flambe
From the book, "365 Ways to Cook Chicken" by Cheryl Sedaker. I tend to substitute boneless chicken breasts, and have never actually tried this with the slivered almonds. This is one of those recipes that really is so easy to make but looks amazing and is very impressive at dinner parties.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- 1/4 cup scallion, sliced
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 bone-in chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 16 ounces pitted dark sweet cherries, drained, liquid reserved
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1Melt 2 tablespoons of the margarine in a medium-size frying pan. Add almonds and scallions and cook about 3 minutes, until scallions are soft and nuts are lightly browned. Remove to a small bowl; add cream cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; mix until well blended.
- 2Slit a pocket in each chicken breast. Stuff each with a portion of cream cheese mixture and secure with wooden toothpicks. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- 3In a large frying pan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons margarine in the oil. Brown chicken on all sides over medium-high heat, about 8 minutes. Add cherries with juice and orange peel to chicken and cook, covered, for 10-15 minutes, until cooked through. Arrange chicken and cherries on a serving dish and cover with foil to keep warm.
- 4Bring liquid in pan to a boil and boil until reduced to about 2/3 cup. Stir dissolved cornstarch into juices in pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce boils and thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour half the sauce over chicken.
- 5Warm brandy in a large ladle or small saucepan, but do not boil. Ignite carefully and pour flaming brandy over chicken. Pass remaining cherry sauce separately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Cherries Flambe
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.0
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 58.0 mg
- Sodium 217.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 16.4 g