Recipe by ~Nimz~
I'm not sure where this recipe came from but it is absolutely wonderful. DH loves this and its a good way to get him to eat spinach.
Top Review by KeyWee
You're right! This is absolutely delicious and I have been making it for years. It is from a cookbook I have called Betty Crockers Recipes for Today (1988). When I make this, I don't change a thing (and it IS a good way to sneak in the spinach - I love it but DH does not!). Thanks for posting - now I can add this to my shopping list right off of the Zaar!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles (9-10 noodles)
- 2 cups cream-style cottage cheese
- 2 cups cut-up cooked chicken
- 1 (10 ounce) packagechopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in 2 qt saucepan over low heat until melted.
- Add garlic.
- Stir in flour and salt.
- Cook, stirring constantly until bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in milk and broth.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Stir in mozzarella, 3/4 cup Parmesan, onion, basil, oregano, parsley and pepper.
- Cook over low heat stirring constantly until cheese is melted.
- Spread 1/4 of the cheese sauce (about 1 1/2 cups) in ungreased 13x9 dish and top with 3 or 4 noodles (cooked or uncooked, your preference), overlapping if necessary.
- Spread 1/2 of the cottage cheese over noodles.
- Repeat with 1/4 of cheese sauce, 3-4 noodles, and remaining cottage cheese.
- Top with chicken, spinach, 1/4 of cheese sauce, remaining noodles, and remaining cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle with 3/4 cup Parmesan and 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese.
- Cook uncovered at 350°F 20-30 minutes until nice and bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.