Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is one of my family's all-time favorite soups that I have made for years --- you may adjust the peppers to suit heat level, all other amounts may be adjusted also :)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter or 3 -4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup diced canned green chili (or more to taste)
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin (can use more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons flour (for a thicker soup add in more)
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (or more if desired)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- crushed tortilla chips (to garnish)
- cheddar cheese, grated for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a light boil.
- Add in chopped tomatoes; simmer on low.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat the butter, and saute the onion, add in the chiles; cook 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in cumin and chili powder, then flour, blending well.
- Gradually add in the half and half; stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture into the pot with the broth; cook at a bare simmer over very low heat for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in the cheese and sour cream carefully, stirring often.
- Add in the cooked chicken; mix until combined.
- Top with crushed tortilla chips, and grated cheddar sprinkled on top.