1 hr 25 mins
Upper Crusty's Note:
Flipping through some 1973 recipe cards, I just knew I could do better than what I was seeing, so here it is. Made it for dinner and was great! No magic for this, just follow along. You will need an electric mixer. Serve with a salad and desert or take to your next pot-luck. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup macaroni noodles, uncooked
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup chicken, cooked & shreaded
- 3 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, drained
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, corusely grated
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, coursely grated
- 4 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk, canned, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 egg whites
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- 1/8 cup chives, chopped (garnish)
- 11. Cook macaroni as directed on package, drain well.
- 22. Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 33. Butter or spray a shallow 2-quart casserole dish (12x8x2"). You may want to add pats of butter to the bottom of the dish (I use 11).
- 44. In a skillet, saute onion in a little butter or margerine, untill translucent.
- 55. Add shreaded chicken into skillet and mix with onions, take off stove.
- 66. In a large bowl, combine grated cheeses and green chilies with the cooked macaroni, chicken & onion.
- 77. In the small bowl of the electric mixer, combine egg yolks, milk, flour, salt and pepper; mix until well blended. Add to the cheese/chicken mixture and mix together in the large bowl.
- 88. In the large bowl of the electric mixer, add the egg whites and beat on high speed just until stiff peaks form when the beater is slowly raised.
- 99. Using a rubber scraper, gently fold the beaten whites into the cheese mixture.
- 1010. Gently pour into the 2-quart casserole dish and put in the oven for 30 minutes.
- 1111. Remove from oven and arrange sliced tomatoes, overlapping, around the edge of the dish, bake 30 more minutes or until a butter knife is inserted into the center and comes out clean. Garnish with chives, serve hot.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Cheese Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 734.5
- Calories from Fat 479
- Total Fat 53.2 g
- Saturated Fat 32.7 g
- Cholesterol 265.9 mg
- Sodium 1147.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 45.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: