Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Flipping through some 1973 recipe cards, I just knew I could do better than what I was seeing, so here it is. Made it for dinner and was great! No magic for this, just follow along. You will need an electric mixer. Serve with a salad and desert or take to your next pot-luck. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup macaroni noodles, uncooked
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup chicken, cooked & shreaded
- 3 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, drained
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, corusely grated
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, coursely grated
- 4 egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk, canned, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 egg whites
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- 1⁄8 cup chives, chopped (garnish)
- 1. Cook macaroni as directed on package, drain well.
- 2. Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 3. Butter or spray a shallow 2-quart casserole dish (12x8x2"). You may want to add pats of butter to the bottom of the dish (I use 11).
- 4. In a skillet, saute onion in a little butter or margerine, untill translucent.
- 5. Add shreaded chicken into skillet and mix with onions, take off stove.
- 6. In a large bowl, combine grated cheeses and green chilies with the cooked macaroni, chicken & onion.
- 7. In the small bowl of the electric mixer, combine egg yolks, milk, flour, salt and pepper; mix until well blended. Add to the cheese/chicken mixture and mix together in the large bowl.
- 8. In the large bowl of the electric mixer, add the egg whites and beat on high speed just until stiff peaks form when the beater is slowly raised.
- 9. Using a rubber scraper, gently fold the beaten whites into the cheese mixture.
- 10. Gently pour into the 2-quart casserole dish and put in the oven for 30 minutes.
- 11. Remove from oven and arrange sliced tomatoes, overlapping, around the edge of the dish, bake 30 more minutes or until a butter knife is inserted into the center and comes out clean. Garnish with chives, serve hot.