Aust WW 4.5 points 20 mins prep includes 10 mins cooling time.
Make and share this Chicken, Cheese and Mushroom Strudels recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Coat an oven tray with cooking oil spray.
- Coat a medium non-stick fry pan with cooking oil spray.
- Place over medium heat.
- Add the chicken, onion and garlic, and cook stirring, for 5 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain off any excess liquid.
- Set aside for 10 mins to cool.
- Place two sheets of phyllo on a clean work surface, spaying between each with cooking spray.
- Spoon 1/4 of the chicken mixture onto the centre.
- Top with 1 tablespoon of the cheese.
- Fold to enclose.
- Place on tray.
- Coat with cooking spray.
- Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling.
- Sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Serve with spinach leaves.
Easy and tasty. Instead of serving it on top of spinach, I added some spinach to the strudel itself, with good results. Like another reviewer, I also used about 6 sheets of filo per strudel - and I sauteed the onions, garlic and mushrooms in butter - making it not so weight watcher friendly : ) thanks for posting!
I loved these, although I had a little trouble with the filo--2 sheets really wasn't enough. The filling soaked right through. So I upped it to 6 sheets each, and that worked beautifully. I added a few grinds each of sea salt and black pepper to the filling, as well. Also, I wasn't sure what "tasty cheese" meant, but after some research I concluded it refers to sharp cheddar, so that is what I used (regular, since we dislike most lowfat cheeses). Also, I used baby portabello mushrooms. They came out lovely, especially on the bed of fresh green spinach. They were delicious, and the spinach made a nice flavor and texture contrast. I loved them, myself. DH thought they were a little bland, but he favors highly seasoned foods (read: hot sauce on everything!). Our 3-year old's initial reaction was very reluctant to try it, but once we got a bite into him, he dove in and announced "Mmmmm--my tummy got bigger!"--so it seems to be a hit there, too. Thanks so much for posting, Sonya! Made for Photo Swap 2008.