Recipe by English_Rose
Chicken Chasseur is one tasty meal that can be created with ease for either a family or celebration meal. Any part of the chicken can be used for this recipe although chicken thighs seems to have more flavour than the fillet and are more suited if you wish to cook the recipe slowly. The ideal accompaniment to chicken Chasseur would be small new potatoes and seasonal vegetables. However, with this dish being something that could be left in a slow cooker or a low oven to cook all day whilst you are at work you might not want to be preparing vegetables before eating. Either use quick cook rice or have your vegetables ready washed in your fridge so that they can be put into a steamer whilst you lay the table for dinner. There is nothing stopping you adding vegetables such as potatoes, carrots and peas to the Chicken Chasseur so that it is a complete meal ready to eat for your dinner when you arrive home after a hard days work.
- 4 chicken breast fillets, cut into bite sized pieces (or 8 chicken thighs)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 9 ounces button mushrooms
- fresh mixed herbs
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in a deep based oven proof casserole dish / dutch oven. A cast iron dish is ideal. Brown the chicken thighs or lightly cook the breast fillets. When the chicken is lightly brown add the onions and garlic and cook slowly until the onions are clear.
- Add the can of tomatoes, the white wine, the tomato paste and stock cube and heat through. Place the lid on and put into the preheated oven for one hour.
- Add the button mushrooms, the mixed herbs and replace into the oven for a further thirty minutes. Some people like a browned top to their chicken Chasseur in which case do not replace the lid of the casserole dish for the last thirty minutes of the cooking time. Season to taste and serve. Thicken with more tomato paste if required.