10 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I have not had this in years. It was a popular recipe in the mid 1970's, when I was such a young child (?). I found the recipe in a Better Homes and Gardens recipe booklet. It is a very hearty meal, definitely comfort food!!! It makes me wish for cold weather. Prep time includes simmering method for beans. I hope you enjoy!!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dry navy beans (7-8 oz.)
- 2 1/2-3 lbs chicken pieces, skinned
- 1/2 lb cooked Polish sausage
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon instant beef bouillon granules or 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1Rinse the beans and place in medium saucepan.
- 2Add enough water to cover by 2 inches.
- 3Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 4Remove from heat and let sit for 1 hour.
- 5OR, soak beans overnight in a cool place, drain and rinse.
- 6Rinse chicken,pat dry and set aside.
- 7Halve the sausage lengthwise and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- 8In a medium mixing bowl, combine drained beans, sausage, tomato juice, Worchestershire sauce, bouilion granules, basil, oregano and paprika.
- 9Set this mixture aside.
- 10In a 4 quart crockpot, combine celery, carrot and onion.
- 11Place chicken pieces on top.
- 12Pour the bean mixture on top of chicken.
- 13Cook on low heat for 9-11 hours or high heat for 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours.
- 14Remove Chicken and sausage with slotted spoon.
- 15Mash the bean mixture slightly.
- 16Serve chicken, sausage and beans in soup bowls.
- 17Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Cassoulet
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 433.1
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 112.7 mg
- Sodium 634.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 29.8 g