Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a great cold weather dish. It's also nice that it's very low fat, with virtually no saturated fat.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice (ground)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, chopped (can use canned, drained tomatoes)
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove (ground)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 cups spinach (fresh, packed)
- 3 1⁄2 cups great northern beans (canned, rinsed and drained)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat free low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs (I use Progresso seasoned bread crumbs)
- Trim visible fat from the chicken and cut into 3/4" cubes.
- Coat a large pan with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat, then add chicken. Sprinkle with thyme, allspice and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook until brown. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan. Cook until tender (about 5 minutes). Add the tomatoes, carrots, wine (or stock), and cloves. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the parsley and the remaining 1/4 teaspoons of pepper.
- Cook until carrots are almost tender (about 10 minutes). Add the spinach and cook until it wilts. Add to the chicken. Stir in the beans. Combine well.
- Coat a 2-1/2-quart casserole with cooking spray. Add the chicken mixture. Pour the stock (or an equal amount of white wine, if you prefer) just to cover.
- Mix the bread crumbs with the reaining tablespoon of parsley. Sprinkle over the chicken and bake at 350 for about 1-1/2 hours.