Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
My mother has made this casserole for as long as I can remember. She has made it for holidays, church suppers and takes it to any friend or relative that may be sick or sad or just laid up for any variety of reasons. It really is very good, freezes well, gets better as it ages and can be made with any left over chicken you may have. We like to make it from the stewed chicken as the flavor is better but you could just microwave some chicken tenders(I have and although still good, it is not as flavorful and the chicken not as tender).
- Stew the chicken breasts until meat is falling off bones. Discard bones and chop chicken into bite size pieces.
- Combine prepared chicken with sour cream and soup. Spread into the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Mix together stuffing mix, broth and melted butter. Spread on top of chicken. (If you want to freeze this ,stop here and freeze).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
- Serve warm.
- You can also refrigerate this a day ahead before baking.
- When frozen bake directly from freezer ( do not allow to thaw) at 350 about an hour and 15 minutes, checking for doneness throughout cooking.