Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
The most amazing chicken casserole, in a delicious sesame ginger sauce.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut into strips
- 2 -3 large potatoes, cut similar to ranch-style french fries
- 1 lb asparagus, cleaned,and cut on the diagonal (about 2-inches long)
- 4 -5 cloves fresh garlic, sliced thin (more if desired)
- 3 shallots, sliced thin
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (more if desired)
- 10 -15 fresh basil leaves, chopped coarsely
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine (do not use cooking wine)
SESAME GINGER SAUCE (Use 1/2 - 1 cup)
- 5 ounces fresh ginger, sliced in thin julienne
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons thai chili paste or 2 teaspoons other red chili paste
- 1⁄2 cup sesame oil
- 2 -3 teaspoons sesame seeds (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- For the sauce: combine all the sauce ingredients in a blender or a food processor; process until smooth.
- In a saute pan, heat the oil, cook the garlic, basil and shallots until the garlic and the shallots are translucent.
- In a deep 13x9-in casserole dish, layer the ingredients, starting with the potatoes and then asparagus, then the chicken, then the sauteed ingredients.
- Then pour the sesame ginger sauce over the chicken and sauteed ingredients.
- Top with the grated cheese.
- Pour the wine over the cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top is browned.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- ***NOTE***the sauce ingredients may be doubled if desired.
I did not like this as much as I thought I would. It took the potatoes an additonal 15 minutes to cook, subsequently, the cheese over browned. It just did not seem to come together very well. The sauce was very tasty though.