Recipe by Charlotte J
This is a make ahead bake later casserole that I got from the organist at church, thank you Ruth. This needs to be refrigerated for at least 8 hours before you bake it, so the macaroni can absorb the liquid. Talk about good tasting comfort food. YUM! You can use 2 cans of any combination, of the following soups, cr. of mushroom, cr. of potato, cr. of celery, cr. of broccoli or even a can of cheddar soup is what Ruth told me.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup (or combination)
- 10 1⁄2 ounces milk (1 soup can)
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 (2 ounce) jarsliced pimientos
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a LARGE mixing bowl, mix all ingredients together.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 baking pan.
- Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, so macaroni can absorb liquids.
- Bake, uncovered for one hour at 350 degrees (or until heated throughly.