Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a make ahead bake later casserole that I got from the organist at church, thank you Ruth. This needs to be refrigerated for at least 8 hours before you bake it, so the macaroni can absorb the liquid. Talk about good tasting comfort food. YUM! You can use 2 cans of any combination, of the following soups, cr. of mushroom, cr. of potato, cr. of celery, cr. of broccoli or even a can of cheddar soup is what Ruth told me.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup (or combination)
- 10 1⁄2 ounces milk (1 soup can)
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 (2 ounce) jarsliced pimientos
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a LARGE mixing bowl, mix all ingredients together.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 baking pan.
- Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, so macaroni can absorb liquids.
- Bake, uncovered for one hour at 350 degrees (or until heated throughly.
Absolutely wonderful! Thank you! Margie
This dish is excellent! My husband and son devoured it. Thank you so much for posting. I omitted the pimientos,green pepper and water chestnuts(mostly because I didn't have them on hand.) I used cream of chicken soup and cheddar cheese soup. I also refrigerated the dish overnight and then baked it when I came home from work. I was afraid that the noodles would be mushy HOWEVER, they were perfect. I will be making this dish over and over. It is definately a keeper! Thank you Charlotte!:)