1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Southern Lady's Note:
A good one for busy women to throw together before work & the blending of flavors is from being refrigerated. Hearty - serve with a vegie and salad. I'm going to test using my crockpot and will post results later. Recipe originally (I've made a few changes& shown as optional) from Johnie Mae Barber of Oklahoma and is over 50 years old, considered her family's all time favorite.
My Private Note
13 x 9
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slices bread, day old
- 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained & sliced
- 4 eggs or 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 -8 slices American cheese or 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 10 3/4 ounces cream of celery soup
- 10 3/4 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional) or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted (optional) or 2 -3 cups potato chips, crushed (optional)
- 1Remove crusts from bread, cover and set aside.
- 2Arrange bread slices in a greased 13x9" baking dish.
- 3Top with chopped chicken; cover with drained mushrooms and water chestnuts.
- 4In a small bowl, beat eggs and blend in milk, mayonnaise and salt.
- 5Pour over chicken in dish.
- 6Arrange cheese on top (American or Cheddar).
- 7Combine soups and pimientos and pour over cheese.
- 8Cover and refrigerate for 8+ hours (overnight stated in original recipe).
- 9Before baking, crumble crusts and toss with melted butter Optional: Use crushed potato chips.
- 10Sprinkle bread crumbs or chips over casserole.
- 11Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 1 hr 15 minutes.
- 12Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
- 13(Cooking time does not include boiling chicken meat).
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Casserole Golden Oldie
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.1
- Calories from Fat 276
- Total Fat 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 246.6 mg
- Sodium 1642.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 39.8 g