Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A good one for busy women to throw together before work & the blending of flavors is from being refrigerated. Hearty - serve with a vegie and salad. I'm going to test using my crockpot and will post results later. Recipe originally (I've made a few changes& shown as optional) from Johnie Mae Barber of Oklahoma and is over 50 years old, considered her family's all time favorite.
- 8 slices bread, day old
- 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained & sliced
- 4 eggs or 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 -8 slices American cheese or 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 10 3⁄4 ounces cream of celery soup
- 10 3⁄4 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional) or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted (optional) or 2 -3 cups potato chips, crushed (optional)
- Remove crusts from bread, cover and set aside.
- Arrange bread slices in a greased 13x9" baking dish.
- Top with chopped chicken; cover with drained mushrooms and water chestnuts.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and blend in milk, mayonnaise and salt.
- Pour over chicken in dish.
- Arrange cheese on top (American or Cheddar).
- Combine soups and pimientos and pour over cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8+ hours (overnight stated in original recipe).
- Before baking, crumble crusts and toss with melted butter Optional: Use crushed potato chips.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs or chips over casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 1 hr 15 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
- (Cooking time does not include boiling chicken meat).