Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
This recipe, from Charlotte Skelton's book Absolutely a la Carte, is named after a community north of Biloxi.
- 2 (3 lb) whole chickens
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 (6 ounce) packageslong-grain and wild rice mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 (8 ounce) packages sliced mushrooms
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups round buttery crackers, crushed (1 sleeve = about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 (6 ounce) can French-fried onions, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Bring first 9 ingredients to a boil in a large Dutch oven; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is done. Remove chicken, reserving broth in Dutch oven. Let chicken cool. Pour broth through a fine wire mesh strainer into an 8-cup liquid measuring cup; discard solids.
- Cook rice according to package directions, substituting 4 1/4 cups reserved chicken broth for water and omitting butter. (Add water to broth to equal 4 1/4 cups, if necessary.).
- Skin, bone, and coarsely chop or shred chicken.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; add mushrooms and green onions, and sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in rice, chicken, sour cream, and soup. Spoon mixture into 8 (2-cup) casserole dishes, 8 (5 1/2- x 3 1/2- x 2-inch) mini-loaf pans, 3 (8-inch or 9-inch) square baking dishes, or 1 (4-quart or 15- x 10-inch) casserole dish.
- Stir together crushed crackers and fried onions. Stir in 1/4 cup melted butter, paprika, and garlic powder. Sprinkle casserole evenly with cracker mixture.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for 20 to 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 to 10 more minutes or until bubbly.
- To make ahead: Cover casseroles tightly with foil, and freeze unbaked up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Bake as directed. (Casserole may also be baked frozen. Plan to double the baking times.).