Recipe by AgileK9s
I can't remember where I got this recipe but there isn't another exactly like it on Recipezaar that I could find. This takes some preparation, but is well worth it. My husband isn't crazy about rice, but loves this dish.
- 1 (16 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken or 4 cups turkey
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimientos, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2⁄3 cup crushed potato chips
- paprika (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice in chicken broth until done and set aside.
- Saute onion, garlic and celery in butter.
- Mix chicken, rice, onion, celery, garlic, water chestnuts, pimientos, mushrooms, soup and mayo in large casserole dish.
- At this point it can be refrigerated and baked later if you wish.
- Sprinkle with crushed potato chips and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Note: Fresh mushrooms work very well if sauteed with the onions and celery.