Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
There are a lot of chicken casseroles out there but this is the best I've ever had. My kids love it too. Freezes well (let thaw and then bake) and works well for a covered dish meal. I like to serve it with cranberry sauce on the side. And as a reviewer suggested, I have heard of people adding chilies to this recipe. I usually broil my chicken. The results are much tenderer than boiling it. Thigh meat can also be used if you prefer.
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast, cooked & cubed
- 8 ounces sour cream or 8 ounces plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups herb-seasoned stuffing cubes (or crushed)
- Combine butter and stuffing.
- Line 2 quart casserole dish with half of it.
- Sprinkle chicken over stuffing.
- Combine sour cream, soup and broth.
- Pour over chicken and top with remaining stuffing.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes.
- Tip: I prefer broiled and diced chicken breast.
Marg, I highly recommend this recipe to everyone! It is definitely a comfort food that has flavor galore! The only change that I made was to use only 2 ounces (1/4 cup) of sour cream. This was for personal preference in that I wanted more of the cream of chicken soup flavor to be dominant. We will have it again for sure! Prepared as a participant in the January 2008 Comfort Food Event in the Recipezaar Photo Forum.
Marg, this was an awesome casserole. The taste was similar to a casserole I make with ritz crackers only more calories. Will definitely be making this one from now on. Thanks
Recipe#47285 is our favorite chicken and stuffing casserole, but this is definitely a close second - very flavorful and easier to prepare than mine. I will be making it again although next time I think I'll make sure the bottom layer of stuffing is moist - maybe use some broth - because it was a bit too crunchy for me - although my family thought it was just fine. Thanks!