Prep 2 hrs 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 55 mins
Whenever possible, I go to the market and based upon what is seasonal and reasonably priced, I then conceptualize what I will be making for dinner. Chicken Caprese was done in such a manner. First, I spotted the beautiful ripe tomatoes, fresh basil and mozzarella and then noticed the chicken was on sale. Fresh, seasonal...bel piatto, I know what is for dinner!
- Set aside 1 teaspoon of fresh basil and keep separate from other ingredients for later use. Combine all remaining ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Remove 2 teaspoons of marinate for future use in separate bowl.
- Place chicken in vinegar marinade, cover and allow to marinate for at least 2 hours in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Turn cook top to medium heat. Add 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil to bottom of saute pan and brown chicken on each side (approximately 4 minutes)
- While chicken is browning, cover an oven proof pan with aluminum foil and lightly cover in cooking spray.
- Once chicken is browned on both sides, remove from saute pan and place on oven proof pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Approximately 5 minutes before chicken is done, slice the tomatoes and mozzarella thinly.
- Once chicken has cooked for 30 minutes, remove from oven and first place slices of mozzarella, then place tomato slices on top of the cheese and sprinkle withe fresh basil that was previously set aside.
- Return chicken to oven, set to broil and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven, and with reserved marinate that was set aside earlier, drizzle lightly over each chicken breast and serve.