24 hrs 30 mins
Lightly Toasted's Note:
I'm not even sure where this recipe came from, it's been around so long. It sounds complicated, but it's really pretty simple, and goes together pretty quickly. And leftovers are great! If I'm making this for grownups, I add spinach, but if it's a family meal, I leave the spinach out. Sometimes, I will let the chicken marinate in white wine and thyme overnight before I begin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken (I use a mix of breasts and thighs)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 lb frozen spinach, rinsed and drained well (optional)
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups milk (I sometimes use evaporated skimmed milk for a creamier taste)
- 12 -15 egg roll wraps
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1In a large skillet, simmer the chicken breasts, onion, broth, wine, and thyme, until chicken is done.
- 2Remove the chicken breasts to a plate and allow them to cool slightly.
- 3While the chicken breasts are cooling, strain the chicken broth to remove the onions and thyme.
- 4Reserve the broth into a large saucepan.
- 5Put the onions and thyme into your food processor.
- 6Chop or tear the chicken into big chunks, and put into food processor with the onions and thyme.
- 7Pulse the chicken in the food processor until finely chopped (you may need to divide the chicken into 2 batches).
- 8(I've also used my old, heavy meat grinder for this).
- 9Prepare spinach, if using. Wash well, chop, and lightly sauté in a saucepan with 2 tbs olive oil until done to your preference. I personally don't like "mushy" spinach. You may also substitute frozen chopped spinach, but be sure to squeeze it out really well.
- 10In a large bowl, mix the chicken/onion mixture with the ricotta and cottage cheese, spinach, 1/2 c parmesan, nutmeg, and white pepper.
- 11Mix thoroughly; set aside.
- 12In a large saucepan, melt butter.
- 13Whisk in flour, stirring constantly so it doesn't burn.
- 14Whisk in the reserved chicken broth, stirring constantly.
- 15Add the wine, and then the milk, stirring constantly, until sauce is velvety-smooth.
- 16Simmer, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes, while you start to assemble the canneloni.
- 17Assemble the canneloni: Lay 4-5 egg roll wraps out on the counter.
- 18Place approx 1/2 to 1 cup of chicken/cheese filling on center of wrap, and roll up, setting aside.
- 19Repeat until you're done.
- 20When sauce is done simmering, pour approx 1 cup sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- 21Tilt, to make sure it's spread evenly.
- 22Arrange canneloni in dish, and top with remaining sauce.
- 23Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup parmesan.
- 24Cover with foil, and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
- 25During last 10 minutes, take the foil off so that the parmesan browns.
- 26Allow to sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Cannelloni (With or Without Spinach)
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 371.8
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 72.9 mg
- Sodium 738.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 23.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dry white wine