Recipe by Girl from India
A tangy chicken again from the west coast of India. This time from the state of fun and beaches - Goa. From the Sunday Mid-day stored here for reference and sharing.
Top Review by Pets'R'us
Will absolutely make this again!!!I did make some changes but used all the ingredients listed. I made for the two of us, I used half the amount of chicken and added instead some finely chopped green beans, about 1 cup. I increased the cooking time and I let it simmer for about 40 minutes on low after browning, added about 3/4 cup of chicken broth, bit by bit, the potatoes soaked up the broth. It ended up with a nice coating of sauce which tasted wonderful!! It was quite spicy for me but it was also a very fresh clean taste. I served it with cucumber raita, chopped mango and naan bread... Thanks for posting!!!
- 1 kg chicken, cut into big pcs with skin left on
- 1 sour lime, juice from (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 potatoes, peeled and sliced
For the green masala
- 6 green chilies
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- 200 g coriander leaves (1 bunch)
- 1 inch gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Pierce the chicken pcs with a fork.
- Marinate them in salt and sour lime juice Grind the masala ingredients to a paste Spread this paste too over the chicken and keep at room temperature for 2 hours atleast.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the chicken pcs and saute for 10-12 mins (or more) until the skin of the chicken is dark and the juices run clear when the chicken pcs are pricked with a knife tip.
- Halfway through add the potato slices so that they too fry with the chicken.
- Serve hot.