Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Don't be afraid! It is SO good! My husband and I had never been big asparagus fans, but when I got this recipe from an awesome lady who often substitute teaches at the school where I work, I just had to try it, and we love it! I've never actually put the croutons on, and we never toss all four servings together as the recipe calls for, we just put the salad in individual bowls, top with the chicken and veggies, and put on the desired amount of dressing and parmesan cheese. I also love mine with fresh ground pepper. We like to precook a larger quantity of asparagus and chicken ahead of time to be able to enjoy this salad more than once. I've taken this to work for lunch as well, but would recommend keeping the ingredients separate in order to prevent the lettuce from getting mushy. This makes a great meal all by itself, maybe with some fresh fruit for dessert. The preparation time is really a guess. It all depends on whether or not you already have the chicken cooked and on what method you choose to cook it. All of the other ingredients can be prepped and ready in less than the amount of time it takes to cook the chicken, so it comes together pretty fast.
- 1 (12 ounce) bag romaine lettuce (My card just says one bag, 12-16 ounce is a guess. Depends on how you like the proportion)
- 2 1⁄2 cups cut-up cooked chicken breasts (we usually grill or broil it)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (halved if necessary) or 2 cups grape tomatoes (halved if necessary)
- 2 cups cut-up cooked asparagus (I steam just long enough to take off the raw edge, but remain a crunchy, then plunge into cold water)
- 1⁄2 cup caesar salad dressing (regular or reduced fat)
- 1 cup seasoned croutons
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (The real stuff, not the powdered stuff that you shake out of a jar)
- Toss lettuce, chicken breast (warm or cold), tomatoes, and asparagus in a large salad bowl.
- Add dressing and toss.
- Top with croutons and parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately.
Makes a nice dinner salad, and can be prepared very quickly using store-bought, ready-to-use grilled chicken. We used Marie's Caesar dressing, which is our favorite. We weren't quite as enthused about the asparagus, but enjoyed the tomatoes and large flakes of shaved parmesan. Thanks for posting, ~Sue
5 Stars, this is a classic salad with the delicious addition of some asparagus. This may be a standard side salad, but I usually use 2 cups of romaine for my lunch with about 12 tomatoes, so I would say there are proportionately a lot more tomatoes, although I am complaining! I used Ken's Lite Cassar Salad Dressing. I really liked the addition of cut up asparagus. Thanks for posting SrtaMaestra. Made for Please Review My Recipe.
A lovely salad that is a great way to use up leftover chicken. We loved the addition of the asparagus as well. I used shredded Parmesan cheese instead of greated because that is what I had on hand. Thanks for sharing, SrtaMaestra, I can't wait to make it again.