1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Wendys Kitchen's Note:
This is from Epicurious. I was looking for a more sophisticated Chicken Cacciatore to serve for dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped (scant 4 cups)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms (baby bella)
- 1 very large red onion, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces, excess fat trimmed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, divided
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, divided
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F
- 2Combine plum tomatoes, mushrooms, and onion in large bowl.
- 3Add 3 tablespoons oil and vinegar; toss to blend.
- 4Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Spread vegetable mixture in single layer on large rimmed baking sheet.
- 5Roast until onion slices are golden brown and all vegetables are tender, stirring frequently, about 50 minutes.
- 6Remove from oven and set aside.
- 7Reduce oven temperature to 350°F
- 8Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon rosemary.
- 9Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large deep ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- 10Add chicken and sauté until golden brown, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to bowl. Add wine to skillet and boil until wine is reduced by half, scraping up browned bits, about 1 minute.
- 11Stir in canned tomatoes with juice, then broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- 12Return chicken to sauce in skillet. Place skillet in oven and roast uncovered until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear when pierced with knife, about 25 minutes.
- 13Remove skillet from oven. Stir in roasted vegetables, remaining 1/2 tablespoon rosemary, half of basil, and half of capers.
- 14Simmer over medium heat until vegetables are heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Cacciatore With Oven Roasted Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 508.3
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 115.0 mg
- Sodium 362.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 32.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar