Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is from Epicurious. I was looking for a more sophisticated Chicken Cacciatore to serve for dinner.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped (scant 4 cups)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms (baby bella)
- 1 very large red onion, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces, excess fat trimmed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, divided
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup thinly sliced basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Combine plum tomatoes, mushrooms, and onion in large bowl.
- Add 3 tablespoons oil and vinegar; toss to blend.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Spread vegetable mixture in single layer on large rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast until onion slices are golden brown and all vegetables are tender, stirring frequently, about 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon rosemary.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large deep ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and sauté until golden brown, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to bowl. Add wine to skillet and boil until wine is reduced by half, scraping up browned bits, about 1 minute.
- Stir in canned tomatoes with juice, then broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- Return chicken to sauce in skillet. Place skillet in oven and roast uncovered until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear when pierced with knife, about 25 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven. Stir in roasted vegetables, remaining 1/2 tablespoon rosemary, half of basil, and half of capers.
- Simmer over medium heat until vegetables are heated through. Season with salt and pepper.