Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I threw this recipe together and was so happy with it that I wanted to share! I used a package of a whole chicken that was sectioned into its parts. The flavors come together very well if you keep the skin on the chicken, but you could definitely prepare this with 4 six ounce boneless-skinless chicken breasts.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 chicken thighs
- 2 chicken drumsticks
- 2 chicken breasts
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add pepper, onion, celery, and garlic; saute, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes, or until vegetables soften.
- Add mushrooms. Cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, spices, and lemon juice; simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken; cover and cook for 45 minutes over low heat, or until chicken is no longer pink.
This was a great idea! I served it over pasta, but it would have been much better over rice. I will change one thing when I make it again and that would be to double the amount of spices. The flavors came through, but I think the tomatoes and peppers over powered them a little. Overall this was very tasty and a lot less "boring" than traditional cacciatore.