Recipe by Rick B(2)
I've made this dish for years and it is still one of my favorites. Not only do the Jalapenos add a slight kick to this dish, but truly enhance the flavor!!!
Top Review by Boca Pat
We enjoyed this meal very much. It was packed with flavor. I added 3 large jalapenos and OH MAMA!! that chicken was kicking!!! I served it with angel hair pasta and DH and I had one delicious dinner. Thanks Rick
- 2 1⁄2-3 1⁄2 lbs chicken (cut up)
- 2 medium onions (sliced thin)
- 2 -3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes (cut up)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (drained)
- 2 -3 jalapeno peppers (sliced or chopped with seeds)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano or 2 teaspoons basil (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary (crushed)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven pot cook onions, garlic and Jalapenos in oil until onions are tender.
- Remove onion mixture and set aside.
- In same pot brown chicken on all sides (add more oil if needed).
- Return onion mixture to pot.
- In a bowl combine tomatoes, tomato sauce, mushrooms, bay leaves, oregano or basil, salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Pour mixture over chicken and onions in pot.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in white wine.
- Remove cover and continue to cook over low heat for about 15 more minutes stirring frequently to help break up some of the chicken as to thicken the sauce.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Serve over hot cooked noodles.
- OPTIONAL: Remove chicken from pot after first 30 minutes of cooking--Let cool and debone--Add meat back to pot and continue cooking (This is my favorite way to prepare this dish-No bones!).