Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by Deb G
DH and I made this yesterday, and we really enjoyed it---and he is really picky when it comes to chicken! He wants to have it often. We were out of bell pepper, substituted chicken broth for the red wine, and omitted the parsley, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Excellent combo of seasonings. I believe this is the first Rachael Ray recipe I have ever tried although I do watch her show. Thanks for posting this, ratherbeswimming!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 4 submarine rolls, split
- 2 garlic cloves, cracked away from skins
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 large portabella mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄3 lb sliced provolone cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a grill pan or large skillet over medium to med-high heat.
- Drizzle olive oil on chicken, making sure it is coated; season chicken with steak seasoning.
- Grill or pan-fry 6 minutes on each side; set aside.
- Preheat broiler; place rolls on cookie sheet; lightly toast them under the broiler; remove but leave the broiler on.
- Heat a large skillet over med-high heat; add 2 tablespoons olive oil, the garlic, red pepper flakes, mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, and oregano.
- Stir/saute vegetables and season with salt/pepper; cook 5 minutes, then add wine.
- Scrape up tasty browned bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or heat-safe spatula.
- Add in tomatoes and parsley.
- Slice chicken breasts on an angle and set into sauce.
- Pile chicken and veggies into sub rolls; cover with sliced provolone.
- Place sandwiches on cookie sheet and melt cheese under broiler; serve and prepare to get messy.