1/2 Photos of Chicken Cacciatore - Slow Cooked to Italian Perfection
7 hrs 25 mins
Feast Your Eyes!'s Note:
Give chicken the ITALIAN TREATMENT with this fast and simple crock-pot recipe that includes tomatoes, garlic, green peppers, olives and garbanzo beans. The mouth-watering aroma and delicious flavors are sure to keep your family and friends at the dinner table. So, turn on your favorite 'Frankie' or 'Dino' CD's, toss together a fresh green salad, throw some garlic bread in the oven and enjoy this delicious meal over a glass of your favorite red wine!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 118.29 ml balsamic salad dressing (bottled)
- 907.18 g chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 59.14 ml flour
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 236.59 ml dry red wine
- 2 (340.19 g) can tomato paste, plus more to thicken sauce
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 396.89 g can whole tomatoes, drained
- 226.79 g fresh button mushrooms, cleaned and halved
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.46 ml celery seed
- 4.92 ml dried parsley flakes (rub between fingers to waken flavor)
- 4.92 ml dried oregano (rub between fingers to waken flavor)
- 2.46 ml dried basil (rub between fingers to waken flavor)
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 236.59 ml large pitted black olives, washed and drained
- 236.59 ml garbanzo beans, washed and drained
- 29.58 ml capers, drained
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Pour dressing into a zip-lock plastic bag; add chicken pieces and refrigerate for an hour.
- 2Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan.
- 3Mix the flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together; lightly dredge chicken in the seasoned flour.
- 4Brown the chicken pieces on both sides and transfer to crock pot when done.
- 5Sauté onion until translucent in the olive oil used to brown the chicken; add wine and 2 tablespoons of the tomato paste to deglaze the pan. Transfer to crock pot.
- 6Stir together remaining 2 cans of tomato paste and all the ingredients EXCEPT for the bay leaf, olives, garbanzo beans, capers, and Parmesan cheese; spread over chicken in crock pot.
- 7Lay bay leaf on top of chicken; cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours (HIGH: 3 to 4 hours).
- 8During the last hour of cooking, add the olives, garbanzo beans and capers. If at this time the sauce appears too thin, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of tomato paste to thicken slightly.
- 9To serve, discard the bay leaf and arrange the chicken over your favorite hot pasta; ladle with sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Cacciatore - Slow Cooked to Italian Perfection
Serving Size: 1 (759 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 851.2
- Calories from Fat 355
- Total Fat 39.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 163.4 mg
- Sodium 1623.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.9 g
- Sugars 20.0 g
- Protein 60.3 g