Prep 25 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Give chicken the ITALIAN TREATMENT with this fast and simple crock-pot recipe that includes tomatoes, garlic, green peppers, olives and garbanzo beans. The mouth-watering aroma and delicious flavors are sure to keep your family and friends at the dinner table. So, turn on your favorite 'Frankie' or 'Dino' CD's, toss together a fresh green salad, throw some garlic bread in the oven and enjoy this delicious meal over a glass of your favorite red wine!
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic salad dressing (bottled)
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste, plus more to thicken sauce
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained
- 8 ounces fresh button mushrooms, cleaned and halved
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes (rub between fingers to waken flavor)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (rub between fingers to waken flavor)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil (rub between fingers to waken flavor)
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup large pitted black olives, washed and drained
- 1 cup garbanzo beans, washed and drained
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Pour dressing into a zip-lock plastic bag; add chicken pieces and refrigerate for an hour.
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan.
- Mix the flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together; lightly dredge chicken in the seasoned flour.
- Brown the chicken pieces on both sides and transfer to crock pot when done.
- Sauté onion until translucent in the olive oil used to brown the chicken; add wine and 2 tablespoons of the tomato paste to deglaze the pan. Transfer to crock pot.
- Stir together remaining 2 cans of tomato paste and all the ingredients EXCEPT for the bay leaf, olives, garbanzo beans, capers, and Parmesan cheese; spread over chicken in crock pot.
- Lay bay leaf on top of chicken; cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours (HIGH: 3 to 4 hours).
- During the last hour of cooking, add the olives, garbanzo beans and capers. If at this time the sauce appears too thin, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of tomato paste to thicken slightly.
- To serve, discard the bay leaf and arrange the chicken over your favorite hot pasta; ladle with sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
This dish was out of this world delicious! I have been trying to find unrated recipes for the Bargain Basement game when I came across this little gem and I am so glad that I did! I really cannot believe that it had not been rated yet because it was fantastic. I followed the directions but I was out of mushrooms and olives (which NEVER happens) and I had no idea what capers were so I added chopped, marinated artichoke hearts when I added the chick peas. I got weird looks from the kids when I served it but everyone cleaned their plates, including my two-year-old. None of the kids even noticed the chopped artichokes! My husband said that he would have paid money for it, and I have to agree. The seasoning amount was spot on (and I did add a shake or two of red pepper flakes) and after trying this, I now definitely prefer red wine over white wine in cacciatore. I also love that the sauce stayed rather thick when most crock pot sauces turn out watery. I served the chicken breast with the sauce and add-ins and it was enough to make a meal without any additional sides. We even wound up with quite a bit of sauce and goodies leftover so I am planning on mixing it with spaghetti for a quick lunch tomorrow. Thank you for posting! This will definitely be made again!