Recipe by Cassachusetts
I found this recipe online and tried it. It was really good!! My family even loved it!! =) You don't have to be on HCG to enjoy this!! =) The ingredients can also be thrown into a slow cooker on low in the morning, for a great meal at dinnertime. =)
- 21 ounces chicken breasts (6 pieces, 3.5 oz each)
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth, for sauteing the chicken in
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground, plus more to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, Diced, with juice
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano leaves, dried
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup basil leaves, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy saute pan, heat the 3 tablespoons of Chicken broth over a medium-high flame. Add the chicken pieces (if doing the HCG diet, be sure there are 6 pieces weighing only 3.5 oz each) to the pan and saute just until brown, about 5 minutes per side. Add more broth as it evaporates, if needed. If all the chicken does not fit in the pan, saute in 2 batches or more.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside. Add the onion and garlic to the same pan and saute over medium heat until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the remaining broth and simmer until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice, capers, oregano and about half of the basil. Return the chicken pieces to the pan and turn them to coat in the sauce. Bring the sauce to a simmer. Continue simmering over low-medium heat until the chicken is just cooked through.
- Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a platter. If necessary, boil the sauce until it thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Spoon off any excess fat from atop the sauce.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken, then sprinkle with the remaining basil and serve.