Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I wanted something different to make for dinner that would be good reheated for my husband's lunch today and so I came up with this variation on the classic chicken cacciatore. While it was very good and enjoyed by everyone last night it was heavenly for lunch today.
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, chunked
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes (with Basil, Garlic & Oregano)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, chunked
- garlic powder
- italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- parmesan cheese
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a 9x13 pan combine the onion, pepper, garlic and chicken.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasonings, and sugar to taste to the can of crushed tomatoes and pour over the veggies and chicken. Swirl red wine in can to rinse it and pour over the top of the sauce.
- Bake covered in 350 oven for about an hour. Remove cover and bake for another hour stirring every 20 minutes or so.
- Adjust seasonings and serve over penne with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.