Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My grandmother's recipe. I only changed the type of chicken. I prefer using tasty meat that doesn't need the bone/skin so much for flavor. My grandmother used a whole small chicken, but picking the bones out of this dish was a huge pain in the neck. I also use yellow and orange peppers for color, but she liked red.
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, boneless & skinless
- olive oil, 4 tbs
- 34 ounces crushed tomatoes, in juice
- 2 bell peppers, seeds removed and sliced (color of your choice)
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, halved
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb pasta or 1 lb spaghetti or 1 lb ziti pasta
- Heat oil in saute pan.
- Add onion and garlic, cook until tender.
- Add chicken and brown.
- Add can of tomatoes, peppers and mushrooms.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer for one to two hours.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
VERY, VERY, Tasty, we really enjoyed this cacciatore very much, served it with spaghetti squash, and a green salad as we are watching our carbs. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs,yellow bell peppers, Home canned tomatoes that I crushed with my hand blender, cooked for a little over 1 hour, very tender. Thank you so much for the recipe which I will be making again.