Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the best cacciatore I ever tasted.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 12 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green pepper, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 cup hot chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper chicken and brown in oil in a roasting pan on all sides.
- Remove chicken; add garlic and onions and sauté until golden.
- Add mushrooms, green pepper and olives; place chicken on top of vegetables.
- Pour mixture of tomato sauce,wine, broth and herbs over chicken.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until tender.
"Yes" this is very good cacciatore. I used to have a good recipe but lost it, so have not made it in a very long time. But now will use this one. I did add 1 celery stalk and some red pepper flakes. It was even better the next day.There was a lot of gravy left. Was I suppose to thinken it? Any way I used it as a sauce over macaroni and this made a great new recipe.Thanks Beeks for a real keeper.
I didn't realize there were so many recipes for chicken cacciatore. Anyway, love this one and the only changes I made is to omit the mint and add some hot pepper flakes. Always use a good red wine - it seems to have more b ody. Thanks Beeks.