Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 clove elephant garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 medium green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet onion, julienned
- 2 1⁄2 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano or 2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine (needs to be of good quality)
- In a large skillet, saute garlic, julienned peppers and onions in olive oil until tender over medium heat.
- Remove peppers and onions and add more oil if needed.
- Place chicken breasts in oil and brown about 15 minutes.
- Return peppers and onions to skillet.
- Combine tomatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaf, oregano or basil, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture over chicken in skillet.
- Cover and simmer 30-40 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and wine and cook uncovered over low heat until chicken is tender, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Turn occasionally.
- Transfer chicken and sauce to a serving dish.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Serve with rice or hot cooked pasta.