1/2 Photos of Chicken Cacciatore
1 hr 15 mins
The first time I had chicken cacciatore in a restaurant, it was made with skin-on, bone-in chicken. The skin was so yucky and the bones were hard to deal with through the sauce. This recipe uses bite size, skinless, boneless pieces so there is nothing to fight with or yuck up the sauce. All the veggies in the sauce give it a wonderful texture and flavor. This recipe would probably work in a crock pot, but I haven't tried it that way yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into bite sized pieces
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 7 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced (not the spicy kind)
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 (23 ounce) can hunts italian spaghetti sauce or 1 (23 ounce) can similar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1Heat the olive oil in a (very) large non-stick sauce pan or pot.
- 2Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two at a medium heat.
- 3Add the chicken, stirring until the outside is no longer pink.
- 4Add the mushrooms and cook for several minutes.
- 5Add the oregano, black pepper, salt and crushed red peppers and stir well.
- 6Add the remaining ingredients, mix well and bring to a boil.
- 7Simmer, stirring occasionally over medium to low heat for 35-45 minutes until the chicken is very tender.
- 8Serve over rice or pasta.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Cacciatore
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 231.3
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 94.4 mg
- Sodium 825.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 26.0 g