1/1 Photo of Chicken Cacciatore
1 hr 15 mins
Mainely Debbie's Note:
This recipe is from Keith Young who won the "throwdown for Chicken Cacciatore" with Bobby Flay. It is sooo good and even better the next day. I doubled the recipe using 22 chicken thighs and doubled the rest of the ingredients. I left out the hot pepper flakes because I don't like them and served it over fettuccine. I doubled it so I could freeze some for another meal. My family loved this recipe and it is now my go to recipe for cacciatore. I baked mine in a large catering pan for about and hour uncovered at 375 after doing all the prep work on the top of the stove.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- flour, to coat chicken
- 2 whole chickens, each cut into 8 pieces with the breasts cut into 1/3 's
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 10 -12 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, with their juice, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 -3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 1Place the flour in a shallow dish and coat the chicken pieces, shaking off any excess. Heat the oil in a large saucepot over medium-high heat.
- 2Add the chicken in batches and fry until golden brown on all sides. When all the chicken has been cooked, set it aside.
- 3Add the garlic to the pan and cook until it turns golden brown. Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 to 7 minutes, until they release most of their liquid. Add the onion and bell peppers and saute until the vegetables are soft, approximately 6 minutes.
- 4Add the wine and let reduce for about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, crushed red pepper, salt oregano and tomato paste. Return the chicken to the pot and bring the liquid to a boil, stirring constantly. Turn down the heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. Stir in the fresh basil just before serving.
- 5This dish goes well with any pasta or rice and tastes even better the following day.
Browse Our Top Very Low Carbs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Cacciatore
Serving Size: 1 (1072 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1982.2
- Calories from Fat 1333
- Total Fat 148.1 g
- Saturated Fat 36.2 g
- Cholesterol 487.6 mg
- Sodium 904.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 14.5 g
- Protein 123.2 g