Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From 30 Minute Meals with Rachael Ray.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (3 pieces) or 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, if you prefer dark meat
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (2 turns around the pan)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 portabella mushroom caps, halved crosswise and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth or 1⁄2 cup stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lb egg noodles or 1 lb egg fettuccine pasta, cooked to al dente
- crusty bread
- grated parmigiano or romano cheese, for passing
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add half of the extra-virgin olive oil and brown chicken breasts or thighs for 3 or 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken from pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Return pan to stove, reduce heat to medium and add the remaining.
- Add crushed pepper, sliced mushrooms, and garlic.
- Season with salt (salt is a magnet for drawing out liquid).
- Cover and cook mushrooms 5 minutes or until mushrooms are dark, tender and have given off their juices.
- Add about 1/2 cup of beef broth to intensify the wild mushroom flavor, then stir in the tomatoes and parsley.
- Cut the chicken into bite-size chunks or slices and add to sauce.
- Simmer sauce 5 minutes to finish cooking chicken pieces and to allow the flavors to combine.
- Toss pasta with cacciatore and serve with crusty bread and grated cheese.
Yummy yum yum. My husband and son were "subjected" to 30 Minute Meals the night before and this is what she was making, and they thought it looked awesome - found the recipe here and made it. My husband ate til he was nearly ill and my son, who is very sick, actually ate quite a bit. I took the few pieces of uncooked chicken I had left over and made it again for breakfast this morning because I'm doing the carb thing (sans noodles of course). Just wonderful.