Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
From one of our local supermarkets as a budget meal. Times are estimated at this stage.
Make and share this Chicken Cacciatore recipe from Food.com.
- 1 kg chicken drumstick
- 810 g crushed tomatoes (canned)
- 80 g kalamata olives (pitted)
- 100 g mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (roughly chopped)
- 4 cups rice (cooked)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 160C (low heat).
- Combine drumsticks, tomatoes, olives, onions and mushrooms in a casserole dish.
- Season with salt and pepper and then cover.
- Place in oven and cook for approximately 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, or until chicken is falling off the bone.
- Serve over rice and garnish with roughly chopped parsley.
So easy and so simple to make. I used chicken breast instead of drumstickls, as with this family the waste with drumsticks is too much for me to bear! I also left out the olives, amd served with mashed potatoes.....but followed everything else exactly. This was one great recipe! So easy to follow and then pop in the oven and wait! The sauce is so thick and rich with great flavours and even the mushroom haters enjoyed this. The whole family enjoyed this so much, everyone really loved it. Leftover's were taken to work for lunch, even a fight over who was getting the last of it next day !!!! Thanks Pat, a great recipe to make after a long day at work, just throw in a casserole wack in the oven and sit back and wait for a wonderful meal!
This is a simple to make dish. I felt that it needed a flavor boost and added garlic as well as Italian herbs. It finished up being a thick rich tasting sauce. Being a bit concerned about the overall calorie total (even though the fat is low) I used skinless chicken breast although I doubt that it really made much of a difference the fact that I made an effort made me feel better. Made for Photo Tag.