I like this over rice, filling and inexpensive.
Make and share this Chicken Cacciatore recipe from Food.com.
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml kosher salt, plus
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper, plus
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 5 count package chicken thighs, about 2 to 3 pounds
- 44.37 ml pure olive oil
- 226.79 g button mushroom, quartered
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 425.24 g can diced tomatoes
- 2.46 ml red chili pepper flakes
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh basil leaves
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- 236.59 ml red wine
- Combine flour, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper in a flat dish or pie plate. Dredge chicken thighs lightly in flour mixture, patting off excess. In a large skillet over medium-high heat add olive oil, when oil is hot add chicken, browning on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- In the bottom of a 5-quart slow cooker add, mushrooms, green pepper, onion, garlic, carrot, tomatoes, chili flakes, remaining salt and pepper, basil and parsley. Add chicken, chicken broth and wine. Cover and cook on HIGH setting for 4 to 6 hours.
This version is a lot like a Bobby Flay recipe I found on Food Network's website. The only adaptations are to to use a red onion instead of yellow, add a jalapeno, some rosemary and balsamic vinegar. Either way, I think it's fantastic!