Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Although I have not tried it, I'm sure this could easily be done in a crockpot. What a wonderful combination of spices!!!!
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 skinless chicken breast halves, bone-in (about 3 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 cups red bell peppers, strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups green bell peppers, strips
- 1 cup onion, thinly sliced on the vertical
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 cups hot cooked penne (about 3/4 lb. uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Combine first 6 ingredients. Sprinkle 4 teaspoons of this mixture over chicken. Set remaining mixture aside.
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven over med-high heat. Add the chicken to pan, cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan.
- Add mushrooms, bell pepper strips and onions to pan; sprinkle with remaining oregano mixture. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add vinegar, bay leaves, tomatoes, and tomato paste; stir to combine. Arrange the chicken over tomato mixture, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 50 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Place 1 cup of pasta in each of 6 shallow bowls. Top each serving with chicken. Ladle 1 cup of sauce over chicken and sprinkle each serving with 4 teaspoons Parmesan cheese.
- NOTE: Chicken tighs can also be used. If your chicken breasts are very large, you might want to consider doubling the sauce portion of the recipe.