1/3 Photos of Chicken Cacciatore
mikey & ev's Note:
Not sure where I found this recipe, but it's tasty and easy! Note: if you use canned tomatoes (instead of tomato sauce), I'd recommend adding a little more flavoring - personally I like extra garlic, bay leaf, and/or basil. Also, I used tenderloins (which are smaller than breasts), so the cooking time would be shorter to avoid drying out the chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (6-8 oz each)
- 2 cups fresh white mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed through a press
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can italian-style plum tomatoes with juice (or tomato sauce)
- 1/3 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1In a large skillet, heat oil; add the chicken and mushrooms. Cook over medium-low heat until golden, about 3 minutes per side.
- 2Add the garlic, salt and pepper to taste; stir until blended. Transfer the chicken and mushrooms to a side dish.
- 3Add the wine to the skillet. Increase the heat to high and boil the wine, scraping up any browned pieces from the bottom of the skillet, until reduced to a thin film.
- 4Add the tomatoes and heat to boiling, breaking the whole tomatoes into pieces with the side of a wooden spoon or spatula.
- 5Return the chicken, mushrooms, and any juices to the skillet. Add the dried oregano (if using fresh, add later). Bring to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally; cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 6If chicken is done, but sauce is too thin for your liking: Transfer the chicken to a side dish. Boil the tomato sauce over high heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. Then return chicken to skillet.
- 7Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Cacciatore
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.3
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 68.4 mg
- Sodium 304.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 29.6 g