Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Ellie Krieger's recipe from the food network. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_36708,00.html
- 4 skinless chicken breast halves, on the bone about 2 pounds
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb white mushroom, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canwhole tomatoes with juice, chopped and juice reserved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste (or more)
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a saute pan over moderately high heat. Brown the chicken on both sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to moderate. Add the onion and pepper, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to brown.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the wine and cook until reduced by half.
- Add the tomatoes and juice, oregano, red pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and simmer the mixture covered for 10 minutes.
- Return the chicken breasts to the pan and simmer, covered, until the chicken is just done, about 20 minutes longer.