Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted to serve 4 from the South Beach Diet Online. Phase 2.
Make and share this Chicken Cacciatore recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 cups mushrooms (halved or quartered)
- 3 cups whole wheat penne, cooked
- coat a large no-stick skillet with cooking spray and warm over medium heat.
- Season both sides of breast halves with Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- Add chicken to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, turning once.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add onions, peppers, and garlic to skillet and saute for 5 - 8 minutes. (or until onions are tender.).
- Add tomatoes with juice, wine, and mushrooms, then return chicken to skillet.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes (or until chicken is no longer pink in the center.).
- If sauce is too thin, transfer chicken to a warm dish and set aside. Cook the sauce, uncovered, at a brisk simmer for about 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve chicken and sauce over the pasta.